Are you planning a trip to London in May? You’re in for a treat! May is a wonderful time to visit the capital of the United Kingdom, as the city comes alive with blooming flowers, pleasant weather, and a wide range of exciting events and activities.
Below, we will delve into the weather conditions in London during May, suggest essential clothing items for your packing list, highlight some popular things to do, explore noteworthy events, and provide useful tips on getting around the city. So let’s dive in and discover the charms of London in May!
Where To Stay In London
We have covered guides on the best areas to stay in London on the blog. Covering tips on North, South, West and East London so that you can get a well rounding view of London when making your decision about which area to stay in London for the summer.
We have also shared post on beautiful hotels in London with views of the city, as well as perfect hotels with rooftop bars making end-of-day cocktails after a day’s exploring a breeze. For those on a budget when visiting London we have shared tips on cheap hotels in central London as well as hostels. Many of which also offer private rooms if you don’t want to share.
For thos looking to stay near attractions, we have shared a post on hotels near the London Eye that offer easy access to Big Ben, Westminster, London Southbank and the Westend’s attractions.
Weather in London in May
This month is one of the best times to visit London. May in London brings pleasant spring weather with average temperatures ranging from 12°C (54°F) to 19°C (66°F). The city experiences longer daylight hours, allowing you to make the most of your visit.
However, it’s always a good idea to be prepared for sudden changes in weather, as showers are common during spring in London. Don’t forget to carry an umbrella or a waterproof jacket to stay dry during your outdoor explorations.
What to Wear in May | May Packing List Essentials
When it comes to packing for London in May, it’s important to have a versatile wardrobe to adapt to changing weather conditions. Here are some essential items to include in your packing list:
- Light layers: Pack a variety of tops, including t-shirts, blouses, and lightweight sweaters. Layering allows you to adjust your clothing according to the temperature.
- Jacket or coat: Bring a light jacket or coat to keep you warm during cooler evenings or unexpected rain showers.
- Comfortable footwear for London: Opt for comfortable shoes for walking around the city. Consider packing both sneakers and a pair of stylish yet comfortable shoes for evenings out.
- Accessories: Don’t forget to bring accessories like scarves and hats to protect yourself from chilly winds.
- Rain gear: London weather can be unpredictable, so pack a small umbrella or a waterproof jacket to stay dry during showers.
Things to Do in London in May
- Explore the Royal Parks: May is a perfect time to visit London’s beautiful parks, such as Hyde Park, Regents Park, and St. James’s Park. Enjoy leisurely strolls, have a picnic, or rent a boat to paddle on the Serpentine.
- Visit the Chelsea Flower Show: Held annually in May, the Chelsea Flower Show is a world-renowned event for garden enthusiasts. Marvel at stunning floral displays, learn from expert gardeners, and soak in the vibrant atmosphere.
- Take a Thames River Cruise: Embark on a relaxing Thames River Cruise and admire the iconic landmarks of London from a unique perspective. Choose from different cruise options, including sightseeing cruises or dining experiences.
- Discover the Museums: London is home to a plethora of world-class museums. Spend a day exploring the British Museum, the Natural History Museum, or the Victoria and Albert Museum, among others.
- Indulge in West End Shows: Catch a dazzling performance in London’s West End, the city’s theater district. From musicals to plays, there’s something for everyone’s taste. Book your tickets in advance to secure the best seats.
London Events in May
- The Chelsea Flower Show: Immerse yourself in the world of flowers and gardening at this renowned event. Admire stunning displays, discover new trends, and attend insightful talks by gardening experts.
- FA Cup Final: If you’re a football enthusiast, don’t miss the exhilarating FA Cup Final held at Wembley Stadium. Join thousands of passionate fans and witness the climax of England’s most prestigious cup competition.
- Museums at Night: Experience London’s museums in a unique way during the Museums at Night event. Enjoy late-night openings, special exhibitions, live performances, and atmospheric guided tours.
- Covent Garden May Fayre and Puppet Festival: Celebrate the art of puppetry at the Covent Garden May Fayre and Puppet Festival. Be entertained by traditional Punch and Judy shows, street performers, and puppetry workshops.
Getting Around in London
London offers an extensive and efficient transportation system, making it easy to navigate the city. Here are some popular modes of transportation:
- London Underground: The iconic “Tube” network is the fastest way to travel around London. With multiple lines and stations, it connects you to various parts of the city.
- Buses: London buses cover an extensive network, providing a convenient way to reach destinations not served by the Underground. Consider using a contactless payment method or an Oyster card for seamless travel.
- Black Cabs: London’s famous black taxis are a traditional mode of transport. They offer a personalized and comfortable way to explore the city, although they can be more expensive than other options.
- Dockless Bicycles: Renting a bicycle is a fantastic way to explore London at your own pace. Look out for dockless bike-sharing schemes available throughout the city.
- Walking: London is a pedestrian-friendly city with many attractions within walking distance. Put on a comfortable pair of shoes and enjoy the vibrant streets, parks, and landmarks on foot.
London in May offers a delightful combination of pleasant weather, blooming flowers, and exciting events. With numerous attractions to explore and activities to enjoy, you’re bound to have a memorable time in this cosmopolitan city. Plan your visit, pack accordingly, and get ready for an unforgettable London adventure!
London in May is a captivating destination that offers a delightful blend of beautiful weather, cultural events, and charming outdoor experiences. From strolling through blooming parks to attending world-class events, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
With this guide, you’re now equipped with essential information to make the most of your London itinerary. So pack your bags, immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere, and create unforgettable memories in London this May!
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Is May a good time to visit London?
Yes, May is a great time to visit London. The weather is pleasant, and the city is full of life with various events and activities.
- What should I pack for London in May?
Pack light layers, a jacket or coat for cooler evenings, comfortable footwear, and rain gear like an umbrella or waterproof jacket.
- What are some popular events in London during May?
The Chelsea Flower Show, FA Cup Final, Museums at Night, Covent Garden May Fayre and Puppet Festival, and All Points East Festival are some notable events in May.
- How do I get around London?
London offers various transportation options, including the Underground (Tube), buses, black cabs, dockless bicycles, and walking.
- What are some must-visit attractions in London?
Some must-visit attractions include the British Museum, Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, and the West End for theater performances.
Read All London Seasonal Guides:
London Monthly Guide: