Last Updated on 20 June, 2023
Planning a visit to London in December? You’ve chosen an enchanting time to experience the capital city in all its festive glory. December in London is a magical month filled with sparkling lights, festive decorations, and a joyful atmosphere.
Below, we will explore the weather conditions in London during December, provide essential packing tips, suggest exciting things to do, highlight noteworthy events, and offer guidance on getting around the city.
Get ready to embrace the festive magic and make the most of your trip to London in December!
Where To Stay In London
When planning a visit to London in December, I cannot stress how important it is to book your accommodation as early as possible.
This is because December is popular with visitors coming to London for Christmas, as well as those that are staying in for the New Year’s Eve celebrations. So as soon as you know you want to visit in December figure out your budget for hotels. You can also find cheap hotels in London as well as hostels for budget travellers.
Weather in London in December
December in London brings chilly temperatures, with average highs ranging from 8°C (46°F) to 11°C (52°F) and cooler evenings.
It’s the time when winter in London is in full swing, and there’s a chance of occasional rainfall or even snowflakes, adding to the festive charm of the city.
What to Wear in December | December Packing List Essentials
When packing for London in December, it’s important to dress warmly and be prepared for the winter weather. Here are some key items to include in your packing list:
- Winter Coat: Bring a warm and waterproof coat that will keep you insulated from the chilly temperatures. Opt for a longer-length coat to provide extra coverage.
- Sweaters and Layering Tops: Pack thick sweaters and layering tops to stay cosy in the colder weather. Opt for wool or knit fabrics that provide warmth without sacrificing style.
- Trousers and Jeans: Choose trousers or jeans made from thicker materials like denim or corduroy. These will help keep you warm and are versatile for pairing with different tops.
- Hats, Scarves, and Gloves: Don’t forget to pack winter accessories to keep you warm and stylish. Bring a hat, scarf, and gloves to protect yourself from the cold.
- Comfortable Boots: Opt for sturdy and waterproof boots that will keep your feet warm and dry during your explorations. Choose footwear with good traction to navigate any slippery surfaces. For more tips on the best shoes for London read our guide.
Things to Do in London in December
- Visit Winter Markets: Explore the festive markets that pop up across London in December. From the iconic Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park to the Southbank Centre Winter Market, you’ll find an array of food stalls, artisanal crafts, and seasonal delights.
- Ice Skating: Lace up your skates and glide across the ice at one of London’s outdoor ice rinks. The ice rinks at Somerset House, the Natural History Museum, and the Tower of London offer picturesque settings for a memorable skating experience.
- Enjoy Christmas Lights: Take a stroll through the illuminated streets of London and admire the stunning Christmas lights. From the world-famous displays on Oxford Street and Regent Street to the enchanting decorations in Covent Garden, the city sparkles with festive cheer.
- Visit Winter Exhibitions: Immerse yourself in art and culture by visiting the winter exhibitions at London’s renowned museums and galleries. From the Tate Modern to the Victoria and Albert Museum, you’ll discover captivating artworks and special exhibitions.
- Attend a Festive Performance: Experience the magic of a festive performance in London’s renowned theaters. From traditional pantomimes to classic ballets like “The Nutcracker,” there are numerous shows to choose from during the holiday season.
London Events in December
- Christmas Markets: Explore the charming Christmas markets that pop up throughout London. Browse unique gifts, sample delicious food and drinks, and soak up the festive atmosphere. The Southbank Centre Winter Market, Leicester Square Christmas Market, and Greenwich Market are just a few of the highlights. We have plenty of posts on the best markets in London.
- Winter Wonderland: Immerse yourself in the ultimate festive experience at Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. Enjoy thrilling rides, ice skating, festive shows, Christmas markets, and indulge in seasonal treats.
- Christmas at Kew: Experience the enchanting Christmas at Kew Gardens. Wander through a winter trail adorned with dazzling lights, encounter illuminated installations, and immerse yourself in the magic of the season.
- New Year’s Eve Fireworks: Welcome the new year with a spectacular fireworks display along the Thames. Join the celebrations on the South Bank or find a spot with a view to enjoy the dazzling show. If you want to read about the best places to watch New Year’s Eve firework in London check out our guide.
- Christmas Concerts and Carol Services: Attend a Christmas concert or carol service in one of London’s iconic venues. From the Royal Albert Hall to St. Paul’s Cathedral, you can revel in the beautiful music and embrace the spirit of the season.
Getting Around in London
London offers a comprehensive transportation network that makes getting around the city convenient. Here are some popular modes of transportation:
- London Underground (Tube): The Underground is the fastest way to travel within London, with its extensive network of lines and stations.
- Buses: London buses cover a vast network, offering a convenient mode of transport. Consider using a contactless payment method or an Oyster card for seamless travel.
- Cycling: London has a growing network of cycling lanes and bike-sharing services. Rent a bike and explore the city at your own pace.
- Black Cabs: London’s black taxis are a traditional and reliable mode of transportation. Hail a cab on the street or find one at designated taxi ranks.
- Walking: Many of London’s attractions are within walking distance of each other. Enjoy the festive atmosphere and explore the city’s streets on foot.
- Airport Transport Guide: For tips on getting into central London from the airport read our guide.
London in December offers a magical and festive experience, with a combination of seasonal activities, events, and dazzling lights. With this guide, you’re now equipped with essential information to make the most of your visit.
So bundle up in your warmest attire, immerse yourself in the festive spirit of London, and create unforgettable memories in the capital!
London in December is a captivating destination that invites you to embrace the festive magic of the season. With sparkling lights, Christmas markets, and a wide array of events and activities, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
Whether you’re exploring the winter markets, ice skating, or attending a festive performance, London offers a memorable holiday experience. Pack your winter essentials, plan your itinerary, and get ready to immerse yourself in the enchanting atmosphere of London in December!
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Is December a good time to visit London?
Yes, December is a great time to visit London. The city is adorned with festive decorations, and there are numerous Christmas markets, events, and performances to enjoy.
- What should I pack for London in December?
Pack warm winter clothing, including a coat, sweaters, trousers or jeans, hats, scarves, gloves, and waterproof boots. Don’t forget to bring festive attire for special holiday events.
- What are some popular events in London during December?
Some popular events in December include Christmas markets, Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park, Christmas at Kew, New Year’s Eve fireworks, and Christmas concerts and carol services.
- How do I get around London?
London offers a comprehensive transportation system, including the Underground (Tube), buses, cycling options, black cabs, and walking.
- What are some must-visit attractions in London?
Some must-visit attractions include the Winter Markets, ice rinks, Christmas lights displays, winter exhibitions at museums and galleries, and festive performances in theaters.
Read All London Seasonal Guides:
London Monthly Guide: