Soho is a neighbourhood in central London that is known for its diverse nightlife, its array of eclectic shops and restaurants, and its vibrant arts scene.
The area gets its name because it was once the home of the Duke of Monmouth’s troops during the Battle of Sedgemoor in 1685.
“So-ho” is a corruption of “Southampton,” which was the Duke’s main base at the time. Today, Soho is one of London’s most popular tourist destinations, and it is easy to see why!
Where Is Soho In London?
Soho is located in central London, just north of Chinatown and east of Piccadilly Circus.
Regent Street borders it to the north, Oxford Street to the south, Charing Cross Road to the east, and Wardour Street to the west.
Is Soho Safe?
Soho is generally considered a safe area, especially during daylight hours. However, as with any major urban city, it is always advisable to take precautions when walking around at night.
Be aware of your environment and ensure you keep valuables hidden away. Everything should be worry-free if you stick to busy areas like Leicester Square or Wardour Street.
Things To Do In Soho
There are multiple things to do in Soho! Whether you’re looking for a lively night out or a relaxed daytime stroll, you’ll find what you’re looking for here.
Some popular attractions include Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Chinatown, Carnaby Street, Covent Garden Market, and Buckingham Palace. Other popular attractions include;
- The Soho Theatre– This theatre is one of London’s leading Off-West End venues. It hosts a variety of shows, including comedy, drama, and cabaret. This is a nice hotspot if you’re looking for an exciting night out.
- Foyles Bookshop– This is one of London’s biggest and best bookstores. It has six floors of books, including an extensive selection of rare and antique books. If you’re a bookworm, this is worth a visit.
- Kingly Court: Exploring with friends and family and cannot decide what to eat? No better place than Kingly Court. A food court with lots of food options and a seating area in the middle to convene with your different food options from different restaurants on one table. In addition make sure not to miss out on amazing bottomless brunches in Soho.
- Carnaby Street: Love shopping? Then don’t miss out on Carnaby Street with its cool and trendy boutique stores. In addition to the iconic Liberty Department store.
- Pubs: Explore the many cool and historical pubs of Soho.
How To Get To Soho
Soho is straightforward to get to via public transportation. It is within walking distance of several Tube stations, including Piccadilly Circus (Bakerloo and Piccadilly lines), Leicester Square (Northern and Piccadilly lines), and Tottenham Court Road (Central and Northern lines). Numerous bus routes serve the area.
The postcode for Soho is: W1
Whether you’re looking for a good night out or a peaceful afternoon stroll, Soho has something for everyone!
The area has abundant history and culture, and there are endless things to see and do. So what are you waiting for? Come to Soho and explore all this vibrant neighbourhood has to offer!
Search For Accommodation In Soho