Every other weekend myself and a few Instagrammers take to the streets of London for a little bit of shooting so this post will act as a series to give you a visual inspiration of what you can see and do in London via these photo sessions.
Below you can see Trafalgar Square, Number 10 Downing Street, London Eye Big Ben and Westminster. Make sure you follow me on Instagram to make sure you see these as and when we have the London walks. I usually prefer to shoot just before sunset and after sunset when I am in London, the city just feels and appears so much calmer. When I am away I tend to go more for sunrise shoots.
Look out for Part 2, when I will be showing you views of London’s Shard building. It’s also part of the list of 5 places in London with amazing views of the city’s skyline.
So have you been visited London before? Let me know your favourite parts of the city in the comments below.
Things To Do In Trafalgar Square And Nearby
- Explore the beautiful Trafalgar Square fountains.
- Take a picture with the Trafalgar Square Lions.
- Take a tour of the art in The National Gallery. The National Gallery have made visits easier by proposing three different routes – the A, B or C. This makes a visit there more manageable. One of the best art museums located in the heart of London at the famous Trafalgar square. You have to book tickets in advance online, however, entry is totally free and in case of non rush hours they do not even check your tickets which mean you don’t have to stand in queue as well. In addition to the portraits and the paintings the architecture of the gallery from the inside is really wonderful. Recommended for a long visit for art lovers but even if you are not an art lover – still recommended for a quick visit if you’re in Trafalgar Square.
- Visit Piccadilly Circus Nearby. A lively place in London where everything is happening at once so keep your camera out and capture some lovely scenes of this famous location. Every direction from Piccardilly Circus will take you to an attraction. Be aware of pickpockets thieves operating in crowded places. Piccadilly is the heart of London with a lot of tourists attractions, restaurants, cafes, bars, theatres, casinos, clubs n everything u can imagine for ur entertainment. So ready to enjoy.
- Check out the busy Covent Garden Market and see outdoor performances.
- Visit Regents Street and Oxford Street nearby for a little retail therapy.
- Check out St Martin-in-the-Field Church just a few meters from Trafalgar Square. St Martins-in-the-Fields is a hidden gem just off Trafalgar Square – hidden in plain sight almost. It’s an old subterranean crypt under St Martin’s church, which can be accessed via lift or small staircase, which descends to a lovely space. Here you will find a shop, brass rubbings centre, performance space and cafe, all under the spectacular crypt ceilings that would have housed the city’s departed many moons ago. The cafe and seating area is huge, food and drink selection good and there are public toilets here too so it’s a good place in central London to take a pit stop if needed.
- Visit the only the world’s only remaining Franklin home, with live period performances plus science and study centres. They offer tours around the grade 1 list property near Trafalgar Square. Just off Leicester Square you will also find the famous M&M store.
- Check out Leicester Square – The bustling square founded in 1670 featuring a small park, statues of film characters & major cinemas.
- Explore China Town just around the corner from Trafalgar Square. Colourful area with dozens of Chinese eateries, shops & ornate landmarks such as Chinatown Gate.
Must See Museums Near Trafalgar Square
- National Gallery
- Portrait Gallery
- Benjamin Franklin House
- Museum of Happiness
- Household of Calvary Museum
- British Optical Association Museum
- Churchill War Rooms
Staying Nearby | Trafalgar Square Hotels
If you love the nightlife, shopping, tourist attraction then staying near Trafalgar Square is a must. Not to mention you are close to London’s popular Piccadilly Circus, Regents Street and Oxford Street shopping mecca, in addition to the beautiful and theatre London with an array of Westend shows.
If you are exploring London on a budget then definitely check out my post with a guide to London Hostels. Some of which are near Trafalgar Square, so you are right in the heart of things without blowing the budget. To review Trafalgar Square hotels covering budget, mid-range and luxury budgets then head over to this list of Trafalgar Square hotels.
Where to stay Near Trafalgar Square
We are heading to London for the New Years Eve celebrations and wanted to stay near Trafalgar square. Can you recommend any Trafalgar Square hotels in London? Also, any on Trafalgar Square with rooftop bars would be great just so we can get the London views, please.
Hi Javiermn, what you have described sounds like the perfect hotel for your would be The Trafalgar St. James. You get amazing views of Trafalgar Square and many of London’s tourist attractions. You can also see the London fireworks from here so this makes the best hotel to see the fireworks from.
Oh my, I love your blog and so many of your posts. We are visiting London for the first time in November and I cant wait to explore Trafalgar Square. I have heard so much about these Londons on the Square.
I can feel your excitement! I love the excitement of visiting new places. I am sure you will have a great time in London.
Trafalgar Square is such a lovely places to explore in London. I am super excited to visit London again just looking at your pictures.
It really is a cool place to hang out, especially when the sun is out.
We have theatre tickets for the Lion King in London and are looking for hotels near Trafalgar Square in London. Any places you can think of?
There are quite a good number of options to choose from when it comes to finding hotels near Trafalgar Square in London. You can check out my post on hotels in theatre London. But you also have hotels like Waldorf Hotel, Strand Palace Hotel and Savoy Hotel which are all just around the corner from Lion King theatre. There is also the option for Strand apartments. I have seen that show several times now so I am sure you will have an amazing time.
Cool post. We are visiting London around Christmas and have been looking for hotels near Trafalgar Square in London. Love you pictures too. Will check out your recommendations.
Thats awesome. I just love this place, especially around Christmas, I am sure you will have a great time.
Hi Bee, we are staying nearby, can you recommend any good Trafalgar square London restaurants to check out?
Hi Trudy, there is like a million and one places to eat in Trafalgar Square, practically on every corner, from places like the popular Dishoom in Covent Garden to cool rooftop hangouts. You also have many luxe hotels too like Sofitel, Savoy that all have amazing places to eat. You will have plenty of places to choose from.
Love your pictures and London even more. Hey do you know if there are any cheap hotels near Trafalgar Square?
Hi Abelina, I have a couple of links in the post which you can check out and then filter down to hotels in your budget. I also have a post on hotels in Soho that includes a couple of hotels in Trafalgar Square and nearby.